Friday, February 29, 2008

Oy Vey: New Design Books at Amazon.

017

A sampling of my design book library, spread out all over my house.

 

Last holiday season, there were so many new design books published that I almost went broke buying the titles I wanted.  So, I expected a long, long respite from Amazon and design books, I mean - how many new ones could possibly come out so soon after Christmas?   Lurking around on Amazon last week I got my answer.   Amazon is just too clever -  they somehow always know when I'm on their site - "Hello, Ms. Cote de Texas ! Welcome Back!"  their screen  screams at me  (they love me at Amazon!)  They even have a list of books they recommend for me,  and it's uncanny just how their recommendations are exactly the books I want.    Below, is the list of books I now have on order at Amazon.  Most of these books are not even released yet, but if you pre-order, Amazon tells you eagerly, you save lots of money.  So,  of course, I told Ben that I am saving him lots of  money.   He's not pleased, he's heard that song and dance before.   So, sit down and relax, my list of ordered books is sort of longish.

51Fj1WzwkeL__SS500_

The Queen, Charlotte Moss - her new book is due out soon.   A fellow blogger has seen an advanced copy and says there are lots and lots of pictures, something that some of Charlotte's previous books don't have.  I can't wait for this one!

51NWI7lB5XL__SS500_

This is a DVD starring Charlotte Moss narrating the behind the scenes of the 2006 New York Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club show house.  Not sure if this is going to be good, but I'll let you know.

51Hx8VY1chL__SS500_

Charles Faudree's soon to be released book - I'm a little skeptical of this one.  Florals?  And the cover really doesn't excite me.  But Faudree's two other books are great French-American style reference books, so this is a must have for me.

5115X78M84L__SS500_

Veteran author Suzanne Trocme's new one.  The cover looks intriguing.   Soon to be released.

41DakruEFSL__SS500_

Chinoiseries - soon to be released from Rizzoli House -- they always have the best books.  This one looks great.

51KFXDgdUfL__SS500_

Another Rizzoli book - If this cover is indicative of the contents, I'm ready!  Apparently, this is about houses and horses and the hunt, something middle-aged Jewish women know nothing about, but I'm willing to learn.

51tMnswWsuL__SS500_

Another fabulous cover, another not yet released book. 

51vqJR0RK2L__SS500_

Any book that has the word French in its title, I usually buy.  But this cover is irresistible, regardless.

51xF-0-uCYL__SS500_

Prolific writer, Mary Emmerling's last book was a stinker.  But the one prior was fabulous.  This one will probably be fabulous too, I hope!  Not yet released, of course.

51YQ9j0Pu9L__SS500_

French in the title, but I'm a little leery of the "25 step by step projects" - not sure what that is about and I'm not exactly "crafty."

614mKU-CbEL__SS500_

Magnolia Pearl's long awaited first book.  The title says it all.  She's not my favorite, but some things she does are interesting, to say the least.  To be released.

51zIYfePPCL__SS500_

This was really looks great to me.  Cliff May and California Ranch Style homes are synonymous.  Not yet released.

512OKI3ij9L__SS500_

Probably awful, but the pre released price is pretty cheap.

41d19mmMiGL__SS400_

Lulu's long, very long, awaited book.  Almost as long awaited as Ruthie's L.A. House.  If either of these are ever published it will be a miracle.

41yqIYYC8GL__SS500_

A book written by bloggers Carrie and Danielle.  Have to support the bloggers!

New books already delivered:

Snap34

A French book on opaline glass.  One of the prettiest books I've ever seen.  The opaline pieces in this book make my collection look like junk.  Gorgeous.

51lmZ58BupL__SS500_ 

You know the rule:  French in the title.   Actually, this is pretty good for ideas.

61jNpT5tfdL__SS500_ 

Staub, the architect that developed Houston's toniest neighborhood River Oaks.  This book is gorgeous and a must have for any Houstonian interested in its architectural history. 

Snap33 

This is a wonderful book about all the other houses of Marie Antoinette's beside Versailles.  Beautiful little book.

Sna33 

And last but not least, a book on the history of mural style wallcoverings in the Gracie and de Gournay tradition.  Put out by the Cooper-Hewitt Museum.

There are some talented designers left who've yet to write a book.  Ones I'd love to see do so:  Dan Carithers, Suzanne Kasler, Bobby McAlpine, Gerrie Bremermann, David Easton, Tom Scheerer, Mary McDonald, and Suzanne Rheinstein to name a few.  Who else needs to write a book?  I'd love to know who you think should.

No comments:

Post a Comment